Tuesday, June 9, 2009

book review

Still Alice Still Alice by Lisa Genova

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars One of the quotes of praise on the back cover of this book reads, "After I read Still Alice, I wanted to stand up and tell a train full of strangers, 'You have to get this book.'" I feel the same way. The book was beautiful and terrifying. Since I started reading it, every time I misplace something or forget someone's name, I am just sure I have early onset Alzheimer's. (I really think I do.) I can't say enough good about this book. It was wonderful. (Though I do have to note a couple of totally unnecessary uses of that one very offensive word. WHY is that word even in the English language? And why do authors feel the need to use it? I think it's a cop out word that authors feel the need to use to portray strong emotion when they can't think of any other way to portray it. -Just my two cents) But this was an amazing read. I laughed and cried on almost every page and I couldn't put it down. I read it in two sittings. For those in my book club, I think you are going to love this book. I can't wait to discuss it. My Grandmother had Alzheimer's and it was a scary thing for me to watch. I wish I'd read this book while she was still here. I would have understood her so much better. Like the main character in the book, she was so intelligent and refined her whole life and Alzheimer's seems like such an undignified, cruel way to end a remarkable life. I also couldn't help but think about President Ronald Reagan. I would love to read more about him. I have even more admiration, love and respect for Nancy Reagan, for my Grandfather, and for all caregivers of Alzheimer victims. Surely they must earn themselves an everlasting spot in Heaven. View all my reviews.

No comments: